NEWS & ADVICE : FIXED DEPOSITS
Deregulation of savings deposit rates may hit NIM of banks
By Neelima Shankar
Jun 22, 2010
Print    Email    RSS   

The proposed deregulation of savings bank deposit rates is likely to put banks into a fix. Banks may have to raise the interest rates on these deposits following deregulation so as to gain competitive advantage.

This may affect the net interest margins (NIMs) of banks if they are unable to manage the higher costs that would be incurred in the process.

The margins of banks are already set under pressure owing to the interest rate calculation on a daily basis for savings account deposits and implementation of base rate.

With deregulation of savings bank deposits setting in, banks with higher cost of deposits might have to raise interest rates on these deposits to attract more customers. Moreover, deregulated rates would also infer interest rate fluctuation.

Amongst the savings bank deposits, 10% of the total deposits fall in the 14 day maturity category while the remaining 90% fall in the 1-3 year category.

However, all banks will not be affected with this deregulation. Banks like Axis Bank and HDFC Bank which have more than 50% of their total CASA accounted to current account, will not have an affect on their margins as such.


 


(Comments Posted : 0) Post Your Comments
Show All Comments
COMPARE QUICKLY
 Select a product:
 

CALCULATE QUICKLY
 Select a product:
 

EDITORS' PICKS
Credit profile and its effect on loan...
Planning to invest in a bank FD? Think again
Recurring deposits: to the benefit of the...
An Overview of Wealth Management Services...
Need of nomination in bank accounts


NANGAL: CaℒL Giℛℒ In Una 09855660911 Escoℛt...
Chandigarh@CaℒL Giℛℒ In Rajpura +O9855660911...
If I invest 100000 rupees deposit for 2 year , how...

NEWS THIS WEEK
Federal Bank launched V connect for its customers Feb 12, 2015
Andhra Bank on expansion mode Feb 11, 2015
Dena Bank earned a profit of 13%. Feb 9, 2015
Banks expected to cut down the rates Feb 5, 2015
RBI kept the rates unchanged Feb 4, 2015
News Archive