NEWS & ADVICE : PERSONAL LOAN
SBI to benefit the most from government’s decision on farmers’ loan repayment schedule
By Vaibhav Aggarwal
Mar 2, 2010
Print    Email    RSS   

State Bank of India is to benefit the most from the government's decision to give more time to farmers to repay their loans.

The Finance Minister during budget presentation said that the repayment period under one-time settlement scheme (OTS) would be extended by six months till June 2010. The scheme had expired in December 2009.

In the third quarter results posted by SBI in December 2209, it had not provided for a sum of Rs. 1530 crore farm loan. The bank had not made this provision on expectation that government may extend the one-time settlement scheme.

If the government had not extended this scheme, then the bank would have had to deduct this amount from this quarter pre tax profits.

The provision framed by the government earlier implied that if a farmer was able to pay 75 % of the loan taken under OTS scheme, then the remaining 25% of the loan would be waived by the bank. And if the farmer was unable to do so, then this amount would have to be considered as bad debt. This provision was valid till December 2009.

While banks like Bank of Baroda had made full provisions on this account will also benefit from this extension as any amount if returned by the farmer till June 2010 would bring in profits in the books of the bank.

Rating agency ICRA has also forecasted that a part of the delinquent agricultural portfolio would have to be considered as bad debt by banks if the government or RBI does not come out with some sort of relaxation in the banks' favor.

 


(Comments Posted : 0) Post Your Comments
Show All Comments
COMPARE QUICKLY
 Select a product:
 

CALCULATE QUICKLY
 Select a product:
 

EDITORS' PICKS
Now, Do Banking on Social Media Sites
Man caught for committing bank fraud
Carnival of Indian Personal Finance Blogs #6
Effect of employment on loan eligibility...
Benefits and drawbacks of personal loans...


HOTEL: CaℒL Giℛℒs In Kharar 09855660911...
Model Escoℛts Service In Pune 8888IOO484 Caℓℓ...
What is the outstanding Amount for my personal loan

NEWS THIS WEEK
LVB bank joined hands with NCML Feb 18, 2015
Syndicate Bank hiring 5000 new staff Feb 12, 2015
SBI donated Rs 8.6 cr as a part of CSR activity Feb 11, 2015
Canara Bank tied up with NHBC Feb 9, 2015
Hiring for Probationary clerks in South Indian Bank Feb 5, 2015
News Archive