NEWS & ADVICE : PERSONAL LOAN
SBI to finally provide general insurance
By Vaibhav Aggarwal
Oct 10, 2008
Print    Email    RSS   

The largest lender, State Bank of India, is all set to undertake the general insurance sector. The bank is going to finalize its terms of joint venture with Insurance Australia Group (IAG) by the next few weeks.

SBI's Chairman O P Bhatt said, "It (general insurance joint venture) is at the final stages and we are seeking RBI approval."

Once a mutual agreement is reached, the new company is expected to start its operations in next three to six months after the approval of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDA).

An agreement to form a new company in insurance sector was signed between both parties- SBI and IAG- in the month of May this year. In this venture, State Bank of India will hold a majority stake of 74% and Insurance Australia Group will control the rest (26%).

The banking major will consult Ernst & Young for its general insurance foray. SBI's entry into this sector is likely to pose a threat to players who are already seated in the sector. In public sector the challenge hold for players like United India Insurance, New India Assurance, Oriental Insurance and National Insurance who hold majority of the market in the business. While on the private front over a dozen players need to be alert.

SBI has already been operational in the life insurance business through its subsidiary SBI Life. Now it plans to enter the non-life insurance business with a huge network of about 10,000 branches.

SBI Life Insurance is a joint venture between the State Bank of India and BNP Paribas Assurance. SBI Life Insurance is registered with an authorized capital of Rs 2000 crores and a Paid-up capital of Rs 1000 Crores.

Insurance Australia Group Limited (IAG) is an international general insurance group, with operations in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and Asia. IAG's businesses underwrite around $7.8 billion of premium per annum and employ around 15,000 people.

The company which has a strong financial strength in insurance is eyeing its Indian joint venture to expand its business in Asia.

State Bank of India has hostile plans to enlarge its business on various fronts and it has recently received approval from the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) for its proposed joint venture with French banking major, Societe Generale's (SocGen). This venture is signed to operate custodial and depository services in India.

 


(Comments Posted : 3) Post Your Comments
1. I am very happy of learning the news of entering SBI into the most lucrative field 'General Insurance. Undoubtedly SBI gains the trust of the customers and would turn its good will into business.

I have been in the filed of General Insurance Marketing for the last 20 years and the customers are anxiously waiting for the customery friendly products and may SBI bring forth such products by pre-product launching and R&D.

--RAJAGOPAL REDDY.V.
RAJAGOPALREDDY.V. (Posted: Nov 11, 2008)
2. I am very happy to know that SBI was entering into Non-Life insurance Field and wish that it will good ,

1.I am having 11 years marketing experance in this industry , at prasent I am working as a Sales Manager in one of the Private sector General insurance co, looking of Agency Develoment and marketing ,

I request you to give me an oppertunity to be a placement in your new establishing General Insurance co,
VAJRAPU SRINIVAS SAI (Posted: Nov 9, 2008)
3. I am very glad to know that SBI is entering into General Insurance Field and wish that it will flourish as Bank flourishes.

Secondly, I am an Insurance bank ground executive working in the one of the public sector general insurances having 15 years in marketing, underwriting/claims and policy designings

I request you to give me an opportunity to serve you in your forthing General insurance
pvb ratnam (Posted: Nov 8, 2008)
Show All Comments
COMPARE QUICKLY
 Select a product:
 

CALCULATE QUICKLY
 Select a product:
 

EDITORS' PICKS
Which is better: personal loan or gold loan?
Loan against Securities: A viable...
Loans to assist people with bad credit scores
Personal loan EMI calculator from RupeeTimes
This is how a bank lends money


HOTEL: CaℒL Giℛℒs In Kharar 09855660911...
Model Escoℛts Service In Pune 8888IOO484 Caℓℓ...
What is the outstanding Amount for my personal loan

NEWS THIS WEEK
LVB bank joined hands with NCML Feb 18, 2015
Syndicate Bank hiring 5000 new staff Feb 12, 2015
SBI donated Rs 8.6 cr as a part of CSR activity Feb 11, 2015
Canara Bank tied up with NHBC Feb 9, 2015
Hiring for Probationary clerks in South Indian Bank Feb 5, 2015
News Archive